Have You Heard the Buzz?
Here at the Renaissance Asheville we are now checking-in honeybees. That's right, honeybees! During last year’s Global Day of Discovery, our team decided to help kick off “Pollinator Week” by welcoming honeybees to our new rooftop beehives. We are honored and excited to be partners with Center for Honey Bee Research and to promote Asheville as Bee City USA. Our Renaissance team is also proud to be the first hotel in downtown Asheville to support urban beekeeping.
Buncombe County Chapter of the North Carolina State Beekeepers Association named Asheville Bee City USA in June 2012. Since the inception, our city has been bringing awareness of the importance of pollinators. Our Renaissance hotel is thrilled to be able to contribute to creating sustainable habitats for pollinators. Located on our rooftop, we offer two hives to welcome approximately 70,000 honeybees. Discover a day in the life of a Renaissance rooftop bee by watching the below video by Dayna Reggero, narrated by Asheville’s own Kat Williams.
Renaissance Global Day of Discovery and Pollination Celebration
We invite you to experience a world of discoveries. Last year we showcased our incredibly talented bellman Mr. Sidney Barnes, caught enchanted bees on stilts, sipped on Twin Leaf Brewery Honey-Infused Beer, tasted honey with Asheville Bee Charmer, learned about Monarch Rescue, explore our local area with Amazing Pubcycle, and honored “Pollinator Week.”
This year's event featured:
- The day in a life of Renaissance Bee, narrrated by "Honey" the Queen Bee herself
- A performance by the "Queen Bee and the Stingers" featuring Terri Lynn Queen
- Bee Experts from Center of Honeybee Research, Make Way for Monarchs, Bee City USA, and more
- Complimentary Renaiisance snacks, honey samples from Asheville Bee Charmer, and local brews with Twin Leaf Brewery
- Limited time "RStinger" cocktail and a portion will be donated to the Center for Honey Bee Research
- Souvenir photos, which are compliments of TapSnap
- Rides on the Amazing Pubcycle
- More entertainment by Honey Holler and try a "Bee-Tini" cocktail with portions going to Bee City USA from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM in our Lobby Lounge
Date: Thursday, June 16
Time: 4:00 - 7:00 PM and 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Location: Renaissance Asheville Hotel (Patio from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM and Lobby Lounge from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM)
National Pollinator Week
Discover Asheville’s Pollination Celebration annually with Bee City USA. Enjoy family-friendly events including our Global Day of Discovery, a guided pollinator walk at Audubon Sanctuary at Beaver Lake, honey tasting with Asheville Bee Charmer, Pollinator Garden Plant-a-thon at Hominy Creek River Park, and a keynote address to wrap up the week with two presentations, and book signing.
Dates: June 16 - 26, 2016
Dine at our Writer’s Bistro during Pollinator Week and a portion will be donated to Bee City USA!
Explore more about our rooftop bee guests and our initiatives by clicking on the below buttons.